[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
NetWoC • View topic - Neverwhere (Book 1)

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm

Post subject: Neverwhere (Book 1)
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
NetWoC Admin

As I said I have an ebook copy if anyone needs it, message me and I will email it out rather than hosting it.

How shall we do this? All read then in a couple of weeks post our thoughts and discuss anything of interest?
Or?

Post subject: Re: Neverwhere (Book 1)
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:43 am 
NetWoC Admin (Site Founder & Owner)

I definitely would like a copy of your copy if that's ok. :) As for format, I think (not for sure because never been part of one) book clubs usually do a chapter or two at a time and then meet to discuss? Or a few chapters? Even if I'm wrong, that would be my suggestion. Meet periodically throughout, at stopping points to discuss how things have gone, where we think it's going, etc. Plus, if we all end up hating it early on we can stop ourselves and move on to something else. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:09 am 
NetWoC Admin

The book club I joined but never attended read a book a month. But I am open to whatever people want. I am just happy to be able to read and discuss with friends :)

I did a quick google and found a bunch of sits with questions to help discussion so no shortage of that.

What do people want - 20 chapters divides easily, 5 chapters a week? Then discuss or is that too much? Flutterby, Yank and Pnut need you to comment also even if just to say you are like me and will go with the flow?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm 

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite writers and I've yet to read this book of his yet so I'll hop on the book club train. I found a copy of it online via a pdf so I can go off of that.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:11 pm 

Welcome, Lia!

@Laurel, 3 or 4 chapters/week is my vote, to best accommodate everyone's RL schedule. Better to let faster readers or people with more reading time to be able to read ahead than to leave people behind that can't keep up because then people will start dropping out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:14 pm 

Or maybe the better option is to have a target number of pages, actually, and then each week just assign the number of chapters that comes closest. That will keep it pretty consistent week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:21 am 

I'm fine with any way you guys choose, I'm a fast reader :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:44 pm 

i'm good with 3-5 i'll try to find it online... if anyoen wants to PM me a link that is cool too

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:54 am 

Made this an announcement since it's our official first book of the club! :) Anyone else (besides me) still needing a copy for the read?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 am 

i do but am looking on line now

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm 
NetWoC Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:28 pm 
NetWoC Admin

70 pages, stop whining :P

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 am 

I'm on it!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:59 am 

Halfway through :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 pm 
NetWoC Admin

A troll doll in case anyone was confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:47 am 

So... Richard Mayhew. He seems like a bit of a cardboard hero to me. Typical good guy who freaks out when things get scary, although I have to applaud the way he deals with weird stuff. I don't understand why he's so thrilled about Jessica. She seems like a complete airheaded biatch.
I assume he's going to have to find his courage somewhere during this story. I'll make a prediction here that he's also going to develop some kind of strange abilities, and thus help Door and her allies vanquish the as yet anonymous bad guy.

Croup and Vandemar remind me very much of the Twins from Otherland, did any of you read that? Gaiman clearly has fun describing their specific brand of ultraviolent evil. I wonder who they're working for. My best guess at the moment would be a baron or some other kind of lord, who wants to smother Door's father's attempts to modernize London Below.

Another character I've found myself liking is the city of London! I recently went to London, and many of the things Gaiman describes are familiar to me. If there's any city in the world that could host an entire different world without anyone knowing about it, that would be London. The way homeless people and vagrants tend to end up in London Below is clear criticism of the way society deals with its outcasts. I wonder if it's possible to make your way back up...

Anyway, I can't wait to read more. The last scene of the fourth chapter really touched me. The poor little girl. Here's a writer who's not afraid to let some blood spill, which makes the story all that more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm 
NetWoC Admin

Reread slowly and carefully, taking time to consider and made a page of notes whilst attempting to not jump ahead.

Richard Mayhew - some strong overtones of fate for me, the scene with the old woman before he came to London, then the way his carrying Door to his apartment - as if he had an inside sensible voice telling him to stop but as if his body was on autopilot almost. His character seems a little disorganised, the forgetting to book the restaurant, the trolls building up almost without his volition, and Jessica, just carried along by her doing what she wants when she wants.

I haven't read Otherland, but those two bad guys are definitely a special type of psycho - his sputum sticks paper to walls? Ewwwwww

Door, her clothing tells us a lot about London Below I think, the mishmash and layering, scavenging. Her family have odd names which are portents of her 'power' (no more spoiler) The use of place names for people is amazing and de Carabas, am pretty sure was Dick Whittington's cat. But even in London Above were less savourly places that Richard had never ventured to. We all live such safe lives, what if an act of kindness led us somewhere awful?

Neil Gaimon has some awesome word skills. Voice like grey slime. (Paraphrase) the suit looked like it had been made by a tailor 200 years ago who had had a modern suit described to him.

I love the idea of the two cities, the invisible people below. People cared for by rats as Anasthaesia reveals. The throw-aways finding a home, a place.

I look forward to reading about the Floating Market and wondering what bodyguard Door will end up with and what De Carabas gave to Old Bailey and if the big bad guy will be revealed..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 am 

The Marquis de Carabas is the name Puss in Boots uses, which seems appropriate since the character is rather cattish in behaviour was well (stealing the watch because Door's father won't use it anyway, etc).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 am 
NetWoC Admin

Well Flutter guess you and I should continue reading, next 4 chapters for next monday sound ok?

Thoughts on the floating market and anything else you find of interest.
More thoughts on Richard.
Language usage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 am 
NetWoC Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:06 pm 

Sorry Shiny, I've been bad. The school year is ending, which makes free time a precious resource. I did read, but I haven't found the time to write about it, and now I'm about to leave on a 2 week holiday :P I'd very much like to continue reading, and we can catch up later? Since no one else seems to be posting here and you've already read it, it'd not seem a big loss...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:34 pm 
NetWoC Admin

I've been bad too... we can certainly catch up when you get back, Elv IS reading it too he tells me. So we can just post as we go along?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:34 pm 

i have been slacking... Chemistry is kicking my butt wiht studying so no free time... i will try to get it read and contribute